Cranstons employ over 150 staff across our head office, retail shops and production unit. We are commited to developing individuals and strongly believe in offering our employees opportunities to progress. Many of our current senior managers started in junior positions. As a Cranstons employee you will receive quality on the job training and the chance to gain recognised qualifications such as NVQ's and apprenticeships. If you feel you have what it takes to join the Cranstons team please have a look through our current vacancies.
Head of Finance and Business Systems
Attractive salary + bonus + car + pension
This is a senior position reporting to the Managing Director within a highly regarded local company. Cranstons has a down to earth friendly culture with a lot of highly valued long serving staff. Employees who work hard and perform at all levels are offered opportunities to advance. Cranstons are looking for candidates with both excellent leadership skills and all-round business acumen. The successful candidate will play a key role in Cranstons future success through expert financial management, whilst maintaining and evolving Cranstons business systems to support both the retail and the production operations. The existing senior management team display a high level of commitment and energy so only candidates with a strong work ethic and passion for business should apply.
1. Manage Cranstons company finances ensuring appropriate procedures are in place to control the company’s assets securely in line with statutory regulations and legislation. The successful candidate will be responsible for a) Monitoring cash flow, accounts and other financial transactions b) Preparing company wide budget plans and reporting on performance versus budget across all areas of the business c) Creating and maintain effective relationships with service providers including banking institutions and accountants d) Prepare management Accounts to T P & L
2. Present financial performance information internally, ensuring staff get the appropriate level of information in a timely and effective format. The successful candidate will a) produce accurate, concise and user-friendly reports b) Work with staff throughout the business to ensure the reports are reliable c) support staff on the interpretation of financial reports, making business appropriate recommendation and solutions to specific financial issues/problems.
3.Costings The business is primarily a food retailer but with substantial in-house production facilities so ideally candidates should have a good understanding of costings and ensure that they are accurate and available promptly to facilitate production and purchasing.
4. Financial appraisal a) Appraise current business activities to assess their viability and determine whether they “fit” the business model b) Appraise the merits of potential new business, be it new sites, new ranges of new wholesale activities, again looking at whether they are business appropriate.
c) Analyse the financial climate and market trends to assist the senior management team in creating strategic plans for the future.
5. Managing Cranstons IT/Business systems. Accounting software, Production unit equipment software, Sales order processing, EPOS and reporting software are the main systems. It is essential that candidates demonstrate strong IT knowledge as the successful candidate will maintain under review all IT activity within the business, implementing new software/systems where appropriate with particular regard to best practice
6. Managing the head office team. The accounts team, production order processing, telesales, payroll and HR functions fall under the direct management of this position. Whilst we don’t expect the candidate to be fully abreast with HR issues (we employee the services of an experienced external HR consultant) they would need to be aware of the HR workflow and facilitate good practice.
Strong financial knowledge, preferably with a suitable financial qualification
Strong IT knowledge
Leadership experience – you will be directly managing a team of 6 and influencing/working with all managers throughout the retail and production sites and with external business partners.
Negotiation experience- you will be responsible for the terms of our banking/ insurance/ IT services etc.
A customer focused mentality
An understanding of data privacy standards.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a successful long standing Cumbrian business at a time when plans are being made to take the business to the next stage. The successful candidate will have a real opportunity to shape the business.
To apply please send a covering letter with CV showing details of current salary package to firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Cranstons Head Office Penrith
Hours: Full or Part Time over 5 days Mon - Fri
Duties: Accounts work and a range of office duties
Requirements: Good communication skills, GCSE or equivalent in Maths & English and knowledge of microsoft office. The ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative is essential.
Location: Cumbrian Foodhall Penrith
Hours: 40 hours per week 5 days out of 7 on a rota basis
Duties: A hands on shop floor role: looking at sales reports, placing orders with suppliers,working with the shop floor team completing general retail work i.e. tills, stock replenishment and stock takes.
Requirements: The successful applicant must be able to work on their own initiative with good attention to detail as well as part of a team. Previous experience would be an advantage but not essential as full training will be given.
Location: Cranstons Carlisle Food Hall, Fisher St, Carlisle
Hours: 16 hours, inc. Saturdays
Duties: working as a general assistant across various departments, including tills and dry goods
Requirements: Previous experience would be an advantage but not essential as full training will be given.
Location: Production Unit, Ullswater Road Penrith
Hours: 40 hours over 5 days out of 7 (EARLY STARTS)
Duties: Production of a range of products for our shops and other customers.
Requirements: Previous experience in a food environment would be an advantage but not essential as full training will be given.
If you require further information regarding our vacancies please contact Linda Bellas on 01768 868 680 or . Applications can be e-mailed to the address above or sent to Cranstons Head Office, Ullswater Road, Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 7EH.
If you are interested in working for Cranstons you can register an interest by completing and e-mailing the form below to Linda Bellas at email@example.com. Your information will be kept on file for 6 weeks and referred to if any further vacancies arise.